In addition to being recognized as a world-class resort, Palmetto Dunes is also a great place to live or retire. You'll wake up to majestically preserved live oaks, hundreds of migrating seabirds, some of the island's best golf, quaint bridges and picturesque lagoon views. With the explosive growth of the nearby Shelter Cove Center, Palmetto Dunes will surely remain one of the United State's top family resort destinations.
Palmetto Dunes was conceived by a group of investors from Greenwood, South Carolina in 1967. Although the Greenwood investors financed the project, it was the work of designer Dr. Per Bruun that allowed Palmetto Dunes to thrive. Dr. Bruun alleviated future erosion by designing 11 miles of navigable lagoons to divert the tidal influx. Consequently, many of the homesites in Palmetto Dunes feature canal views.
In 1971, the original investors took on a partner in Phipps Land Company. Shortly thereafter, the focus shifted towards developing Palmetto Dunes into a world-class resort. Between the Robert Trent Jones golf course, the opening of the Hyatt, and the earnest development of the oceanfront, Palmetto Dunes Resort began attracting international acclaim.
In 1979, Phipps sold their interest to Greenwood Development Corporation per the advice of Charles Frazer. In 1980, work began on Shelter Cove Marina. The sand dredged to form the marina was relocated to the beach as part of an intensive renourishment project. The now iconic Neptune-In-Sundial statue anchors a bevy of shops, restaurants, docks, and villas.
• Robert Trent Jones Oceanfront Course: Renovated in 2002. Named Golf Course Of The Year by the South Carolina Golf Course Owners Association in 2003. One of only two oceanfront courses on Hilton Head Island. A perennial favorite of both novice and experienced golfers.
• George Fazio Course: Considered to be Hilton Head Island’s most challenging course. Recent greens renovation. Hilton Head Island’s only par-70 course. Best-suited to experienced golfers.
• Arthur Hills Course: Anchored by the Hilton Head Island Range Light Station (AKA The Leamington Lighthouse). Stretches over nearly 7,000 yards of rolling dunes with 10 holes fronting water.
• Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center: 23 courts. Ranked #2 in the world for instruction and #5 overall by Tennis Resorts Online. Featuring two Nova ProBounce courts and an additional six courts lighted for nighttime play.
• Shelter Cove Marina: Hilton Head Island’s largest deep-water yacht basin. Accommodates large yachts up to 135′. Modern amenities and facilities, a ship’s store, watercraft rentals and fishing charters are freely available.
• The Dunes House Beach Club: Serving fine cuisine and affording a spectacular view of the Atlantic. Provides a catered venue for events, functions, weddings and family reunions.
Palmetto Dunes is extremely popular with vacation property investors. Given the world-class amenities, proximity to the beach, miles of bike paths and nearby shops and dining, Palmetto Dunes offers incredible value to both guests and owners.
Homes in Palmetto Dunes are an eclectic assortment of villas and residences. Many of the oceanfront and ocean view manors enjoy incredible short-term rental income potential. Smaller single-family homes along the golf course and lagoons tend to be more popular with full-time residents and retirees. Villas range from concrete-framed 4-story complexes to single-floor townhomes. The variety in architecture and aesthetics ranges from stately and quintessentially southern to chic and coastal.
D*I*R*E*C*T OCEANFRONT! 6 Bedrooms or 5+study/office/media room, 7 full baths, Nantucket shingle-style home w/cathedral ceilings, exposed beams, wood floors, amazing wood...
Listing courtesy of Charter One Realty.
THIS IS YOUR BLANK CANVAS! If you've been looking for a home to renovate, this could be the one. Home overlooks 4 holes of the George Fazio golf course and is a short 10-...
Listing courtesy of Dunes Real Estate.
Beautifully remodeled villa with an outstanding lagoon view. Totally remodeled in 2011 with new kitchen, remodeled bath, Travertine flooring throughout. Beautifully furni...
Listing courtesy of Dunes Real Estate.
Are you ready for your ultimate beach house? Steps, literally steps to the ocean located in the gated resort community of Palmetto Dunes Plantation. This one level 3 bedr...
Listing courtesy of Carolina Realty Group.
BEST NON-OCEANFRONT HOME & VIEW in Palmetto Dunes! Designer, luxury,4th row home is steps to the beach with panoramic views of Robert Trent Jones golf course and lagoon. ...
Listing courtesy of Hilton Head Realty Pros, LLC.
We do not attempt to independently verify the currency, completeness, accuracy or authenticity of the data contained herein. It may be subject to transcription and transmission errors. Accordingly, the data is provided on an “as is,” “as available” basis only and may not reflect all real estate activity in the market. © 2017 Multiple Listing Service of Hilton Head Island, Inc. All rights reserved. Certain information contained herein is derived from information which is the licensed property of, and copyrighted by, Multiple Listing Service of Hilton Head Island, Inc.